Saturday, May 19, 2012

Heroes

Heroes is the title of the newest Willie Nelson album, which I discussed in an earlier blog as coming out on May 15th.  I was unable to procure it on the day it came out, but made up for it today.  I am soooo happy that I was able to snag it.

I will admit, Willie's voice has deteriorated a bit over the years.  However, considering it's never been the best voice on the planet, it's still a good voice.  He manages to put a lot of emotion behind his traditional vibrato.  And his son Lukas, who sings duet with him for much of the album, is the same tone, if a slightly higher pitch.  I posted "Breathe" in an earlier blog.  That was a duet.  Go listen again.

So, we already knew that he covered a Pearl Jam song.  He also covers Tom Waits and Coldplay as well as some older C&W songs (heavy on the W).  The Coldplay song - "The Scientist" - is one of my favorites and got zero play in D/FW.  I understand that it was recorded for a Chipotle Mexican food commercial for last year's Super Bowl.  I don't mind, it's a great cover. 

Willie co-wrote several of the songs.  His son Lukas wrote about as many by himself.  I don't know what else Lukas has done, but I approve of his song writing.  He's very much a chip off the old block.

And, yeah, Willie does a song with Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson and Jamey Johnson called "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die".  Snoop Dogg actually SINGS, not raps.  He's got a decent voice.  According to Wikipedia, they were originally going to use this song as the title to the album, but were afraid the more conservative outlets would be offended.  Pity one has to take that into account.  So, the following video shows pictures of Mr. Nelson partaking in marijuana.  If that offends, close you eyes and just listen.  Or, no, just don't click as the lyrics will probably offend as well.


Here's the cover of "The Scientist".  It's a beautiful song, even if it was used for a Chipotle commercial.


I'm definitely not a Christian, but I kinda agree with the sentiment of this song. "Come on Back Jesus"

Okay, enough.  I'll let you go find the rest for yourself.  Or better yet, go buy the album.  The old man still has It.

1 comment:

  1. You've been nominated for a Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my post for more info (if you're into that kind of thing): http://squarepegscorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/i-got-vba.html

    ReplyDelete