Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Got ya covered!

I happen to like musical covers.  I like hearing a familiar song interpreted anew.  Granted, there are some crap covers out there, but there is a lot of good music being well reworked by good musicians.  Now, one of my personal quirks is I like odd covers.  The ones that make you stop and go "why is that riff familiar?" just before the chorus kicks in and you realize that it's because the riff IS familiar, just not normally played on an accordion.  Or strings.  Or sung to that tempo.  For example (note - most of the examples aren't actual videos because I'm grabbing deep cuts here):

This is a good cover:

It is well done.  You recognize that it's a Doors song.  Duran Duran is true to the original.

However - to me - this is a GREAT cover:

It is well done.  You recognize that it's a Doors song.  Brave Combo takes the song and twists it to their own weird and wonderful style. 

So, allow me to present to you several more pieces that I feel fall into the Great catagory:











Hopefully you enjoyed this.  I get brownie points if I hurt anyone's brain.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment